Monday 4 August 2014

L-Space- Can I Play the Piano Any More?


Just a quick, lazy post to draw attention to a great article on the BBC News website entitled The French Spy who wrote The Planet of the Apes, taking a fascinating look at the life and works of Planet of the Apes author Pierre Boulle. When I reviewed that sci-fi book almost one year ago now (where does the time go?) I was massively impressed by what I found to be a fantastic mix of sci-fi and classic Conan Doyle-esque adventure fiction. It was not a surprise, then, to find out through the BBC article that Boulle was a self-professed anglophile who loved all things literary and English. It was also fun to discover that his literary heroes were Joseph Conrad and W. Somerset Maugham, two men very highly regarded for their immaculate English prose, written of course in their second language.

I must get a hold of some more Boulle novels. In the meantime I have a review of Charles Bukowski's Factotum coming up sometime in the next forty to fifty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment